Friday, April 17, 2009

Kranz & Haise - Pics

As continued from yesterday's post, here are the photos from Gene Kranz and Fred Haise's lecture... and of course this is my favorite photo:

Gene Kranz

Gene Kranz & Me, April 2009

There are a few others over in my Picasa Web Albums, of the flight director and the astronaut onstage, sharing their stories and memories. Just before this was taken... he very kindly obliged my request to sign a copy of his book "Failure Is Not An Option." (A fantastic book I, of course, highly recommend).

Here's one other photo I dug up from the archives... elsewhere in the museum (per my last trip to the NASA missions exhibits during Space Week), one of Gene's famed vests is encased in glass for all to enjoy. Tailored by his wife Marta.

Gene Kranz
The plaque reads:
"This elaborate vest of silver and gold brocade on white satin was the first celebratory vest worn by Gene Kranz, NASA Flight Control Director. Initially worn for the Gemini IX mission, Kranz then wore it again for Apollo IX, Apollo XII and Apollo XIII. The vest was doned only for the final shifts of the mission. On Loan From Eugene Kranz."